Newsletter: Subscribe for free to our newsletters to get monthly updates directly by email
- European level - The OECD has published a new report which provides a comprehensive assessment of the functioning of collective bargaining systems and workers’ voice arrangements across OECD countries, as well as fresh insight on their effect on labour market performance today. The report provides a detailed review of existing collective bargaining institutions and workers’ voice arrangements. It analyses the role of these institutions for employment, wages and labour market inclusiveness, as well as non-monetary aspects of job quality.
- Germany - On 22 November 2019, the Mining, Chemicals and Energy Union (IG BCE) and its counterpart on the employer side, the BAVC, concluded a new collective agreement covering 580,000 employees in the German chemical and pharmaceutical industry. According to the IG BCE, the value of the whole package equals a pay increase of 6%.
- Hungary - Teacher union PSZ has called on the government to come to a decision on increasing wages for employees working in the public education sector as part of a package of demands. In a statement the union noted it has set the government a deadline of 22 November to meet its various demands.
- Spain - Thousands of workers protested against the Constitutional Court’s (STC) judgment in favour of the objective dismissal of workers for even justified leaves of absence. Trade unions across the country, including the Workers’ Commissions (CCOO) and the General Union of Workers (UGT), organised demonstrations in provincial capitals and called for a protest march to the Congress of Deputies in Madrid.
- Switzerland – According to the trade unions, in order to meet the high cost of living and decreasing purchasing power wages should rise. They also state that people should even receive a 13th month’s salary in order to pay bills including health insurance premiums. The union demand is supported by a study the union conducted with the Bern University of Applied Sciences.
Full version of the Collective Bargaining newsletter: Issue 11/November 2019
- Archives database of Collective Bargaining newsletter, searchable by country and date.