This workshop brings together researchers with practitioners to engage in evidence-based discussion of issues facing employees and worker representatives active in multinational corporations in infrastructure sectors. This workshop focuses on two issues: 1) financing in infrastructure and in the public sector, and 2) challenges in the energy sector linked to the transition to renewable energy and smart grids.
Financing in infrastructure and in the public sector
Facilitator: Dr Jane Lethbridge, Director Public Services International Research Unit (PSIRU), University of Greenwich, London
- Who and how should pay for new investment, such as network upgrading? Pros and cons of different models: government finance, guarantees, own resources, loans, PPP, etc.
- What solutions should trade unions promote?
Challenges in the energy sector
Facilitator: Bettina Kampman, manager Energy, CE Delft consultancy
- What are the scenarios for energy infrastructure with a view to transition to more renewable energy? Smart grids?, more local networks vs more interconnections?
- How should national energy policies be harmonized with EU energy policy?
- What are the effects on employment and jobs in the energy sector?
A sandwich lunch is available from 12.30 hrs