In its 3rd edition, this online course runs for 7 weeks and it will involve about 18 hours of individual work. The course is self-paced: learners will choose when to attend it. Online tutors will support participants during the training. This training activity, hosted on Moodle, is provided in English and it’s free of charge.
The institutions of the European Union and how they function is complex, creating, therefore, a huge gap between EU policymakers and citizens. In addition, for about half a century the European Union has played a crucial role in shaping the current globalization process. This, as we see in the news every day, is a reality that has consequences on all of us, in Europe and around the world.
That’s why the ETUI organizes this introductory course: it will empower the trade unionists not only to critically analyse how the EU works and see how decisions are taken but above all, to understand how they can play a role and intervene in the process. This is a crucial step to reinforce the trade unions in every country in Europe and make their work more effective. In the current period having strong trade unions is more important than ever.
After completing this online training, participants will be able to:
- Recognise the basic principles of the EU
- Identify the 5 essential elements of the European social model for the ETUC
- Identify the worker representation system in the various EU countries
- Outline the ETUC, its mission, structures and the role of its governing bodies
- Outline the EU ordinary legislative procedure
- Define the fields of European social dialogue, describe their functioning and infer possible trade union actions
- Analyse, on the basis of a practical case, the principles allowing trade union action with a European scope.
Participants: A maximum of 300 participants can be accepted. The final confirmation of the participants will be done by ETUI bearing in mind the requirements for the target group, and the “first come, first served” rule. This training is addressed to trade unionists from ETUC affiliated Organizations.
Registrations: individual expressions of interests can be done through national contact persons (see the list here). ETUI Education is available for clarification and support (Ilaria Costantini email@example.com and Sylviane Mathy firstname.lastname@example.org ). Participation in this course is free of charge.