At its 3rd edition, this online course involves about 24 hours of work. Online tutors will support participants during the training course.
The course requires an initial intermediate level of English. It includes different types of activities that participants should take part in, including:
1. reading texts, audio files and videos on a wide range of trade union related topics;
2. quizzes which test participant’s understanding of key vocabulary and grammar;
3. forums where participants can share opinions and experiences with other learners;
4. speaking and writing assignments to which participants receive personal feedback from the course tutor.
Having completed this course, participants will be able to communicate more effectively in English on the following topics:
• platform work;
• impact of automation;
• employer use of algorithms;
• impact on health and safety;
• big data;
• the trade union responses.
As well as focusing on key vocabulary, we also look at the following grammar topics:
• tense usage in the active and passive voice;
• various conditional forms;
• relative clauses;
• future forms; and
• formal and informal language.
Participants: A maximum of 200 participants can be accepted. The final confirmation of the participants will be done by ETUI bearing in mind the requirements for the target group, and the “first come, first served” rule. The target group are trade unionists from ETUC affiliated Organizations with an intermediate level of English. Before filling the enrolment form, interested participants are warmly recommended to take 15 minutes and assess their level here.
Registrations: individual expressions of interests can be done through national contact persons (see the list here). ETUI Education is available for clarification and support (Ilaria Costantini and Sylviane Mathy). The participation to this course is free of charge.